4 March 2012

J. M. Barrie in Nottingham

Shortly after earning an MA from the University of Edinburgh, J. M. Barrie (1860–37) found a brief post as a journalist with the Nottingham Journal on Pelham Street, Nottingham. He stayed at 5 Birkland Avenue.

There's a reference to Nottingham in My Lady Nicotine (1890) concerning, er, the lace trade: 'It happens that I have a connection with Nottingham, and whenever a man mentions Nottingham to me, with a certain gleam in his eye, I know that he wants to discuss the lace trade.'

'J. M. Barrie, author
of "Peter Pan",
lived here
1883–4'.

Local newspapers like to conjecture that Peter Pan was born in Nottingham, quoting George Basil Barham saying that the idea sprang from the sight of a boy while he was walking with Barrie in Clifton Grove, Nottingham.

And there's a portrait of Barrie in the Joseph Else pub in South Parade, Nottingham.

There's a link below to another post I made.


–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens: London #26

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your page. As a young child I lived at 5 Birkland Avenue from 1976 to 1979, to which we moved to Carlton. I have strong memories of living at the house

Dr Tony Shaw said...

Was there a plaque there then?